Engineering a Google Pixel Phone
The battery on this Pixel 3 phone has swollen badly. What are the factors that led to a bad phone in less than 12 months?
* Structurally deficient plastic?
* Adhesive deterioration?
* Poor energy management subsystem?
* Cradle for overnight charging, while the phone keeps networking?
* Substandard component heat characteristics?
* Not accounting for battery aging?
None of them, well all of them, but none of them. Design choices today are a combination of engineers making bad choices, and management pursuing short term financial goals.
How does an organization fix this? There is only one way. Having a company proclaim clear, public, values about each of their products. Abstract values? Values that please the board of directors?
Values an average consumer can read, understand and be happy about.